25 May 2011

What to do if you don’t receive your W-2

Uncategorized No Comments

IRS recommends steps to take if Form W-2 is not received [IRS Tax Tip 2011-28]:  IRS has reminded taxpayers about the steps they should take if they have not received their Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Employers had until Jan. 31 to send employees a 2010 Form W-2 earnings statement. The agency suggested four specific actions for taxpayers to take. First, contact the employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. After making contact, allow a reasonable amount of time for the employer to resend or to issue the W-2. Second, if the W-2 is not received by Feb. 14, contact IRS for assistance at (800) 829-1040. Third, even if the taxpayer still has not received the Form W-2, a tax return or request for an extension to file must be filed by April 18. If the Form W-2 is not received by the due date, and the taxpayer has completed the previous steps, the taxpayer may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Form 4852 should be attached to the return, with an estimate of income and withholding taxes. Finally, a taxpayer may have to file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. If a missing W-2 is received after the return was filed using Form 4852 and the information is different from what was reported on the return, the return must be amended. Complete details can be found at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106470,00.html .

No Responses to “What to do if you don’t receive your W-2”

Leave a Reply